CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 14, 2008

IUI # 1 COMPLETE!!!!!


Well, I survived IUI # 1!!!!!
Here's a recap of the day!!
I woke up bright and early, as I said in yesterdays blog, I had to go into work for 2 hours this morning before my IUI. So I woke up, got ready for work, said some prayers before leaving, and headed to work. I got all set up, got all four of my patients set up and dialyzing and started getting nervous as my relief coverage wasn't at work yet and I needed to drive 45 mins to my RE's office. (Meanwhile, back at home, C. was hard at work, trying to make his donation for this morning's IUI). C. called me at 6:45 am to happily report that his "donation" was done and ready-- I started to freak a little thinking he had done it a little too early and that I'd never make it the RE's office within the hour limit. ) I saw my work coverage pulling in the parking lot, reported off on my patients and ran out the door hollering to her on my way to the car.
I called C. and told him to be waiting with the sample at home so I could just pull up, grab it and get on the road. (C. couldn't go with me because he had to be at work at 9 am). So, as I pulled onto my street, and looked up towards my house, there stood C. at the end of the driveway ready to make the handoff (we had it wrapped in a warm towel in a little cooler). I grabbed it, got a kiss and said, "This has to be the most bizarre handoff ever right????" and off I went!
I made it to my RE's office in a record breaking 33 mins (it normally takes atleast 45 depending on traffic). I had a pretty clear ride, and luckily had some heavy footed drivers setting the pace in front of me, so we sailed at 70 mph alot of the way. I practically ran into the RE's office, signed in, and found NO ONE anywhere near the front desk!!! I started freaking, because I knew we were super close to the 1 hour mark. FINALLY, someone came out and I ran up to the desk with the sample, panicing, to let them know how close we were on time. The Andrologist took it, gave me paperwork to fill out, and off he went with "the package".
So, I sat in the lobby, with about 4 other couples, which was a little tough, as I was really wishing C. was there with me, but I managed, keeping my eye on the bigger picture. I brought a book to try to read to pass the time, but that was a waste, as I suspected it would be, as I read the same 3 pages about 4 times each, and still had no idea what I was reading. So then I put my Ipod on, and chilled out for a bit, while saying some of the Rosary, while trying to be discreet (I didn't want anyone to think I was loopy!!!)
Then, funny enough, one of the couples sitting across from me, live about 15 mins north of me and they were saying they were on IUI# 3, and if this didn't work, they were moving onto IVF which their insurance covered 100%. Boy, lucky them for that insurance coverage. Next to me sat and pair of girls, who come to find out, are a Gay couple TTC. This was IUI#3 for them as well, using donor sperm. At first, I was a little in awe, after hearing their plan, but then I kinda admired them after hearing their story, and how they "shopped" for their donor sperm. They even had a picture of the donor. I admired them for being brave to take this step, and for being so open about their journey.
The first couple were also very open about their journey thus far, and I admired the husband of the couple. He had gotten called in earlier to do his sample and of course, he HAD to feel all the eyes burning on him when he came back out to sit with his wife after he was done, he had to know we all knew what he was back there doing. He handled it like a trooper!! He and his wife were very open talking about his SA post wash results etc, and were very interested in the gay couples' journey. At one point, the husband even joked that with his good sperm count, he'd be a good donor, and maybe after his wife got PG, he'd make up a resume with his IQ and SA numbers, and of course his wife was giggling away and was a good sport about it.
Side effects of all the different meds we've been on was discussed, the hot flashes, the moodiness, the size of follies from various meds etc. It was actually refreshing to hear people be open and talk about their journey's and it just re-assured me that I'm not alone in all this. There really is a Common Thread in IF and how we are all linked together with the emotional and physical toll it takes on all of us......... Women and Men!!
So, at about 8:55 am I was called back for my IUI (of course they make you stop at the check out window prior, to pay your bill........ that was not the most fun $538 check I've ever written......thats for sure, but it sure will be worth it when we find our we're PG!!!!). So off I go to an exam room, I got undressed, hopped up on the exam table, armed with my Ipod for afterwards. Shortly there after my doctor came in (Dr. Z.), and I was happy he was covering for the weekend, and not the other Dr. (not that there was anything wrong with the other Dr., I just don't know him at all). Anyhow, Dr. Z. came in, I "assumed the position", and in went the speculum (or as I like to refer to it, the sideways tire jack), he threaded the cath in and v'iola, all done!!!! As he was doing it, he told me that C.'s post wash count was very good, "good swimmers". Dr. Z. finished and said "all done!" to which I replied "Thats it?? Wow, Wham, Bam, Thank You Maam!!!!" We all had chuckle from that, and then the nurse helped me re-adjust on the table to settle in for about 15 mins. Before Dr. Z. left I wanted some reassurance about C's post wash count, and its official...........C has "super swimmers"!!!!
His post wash counts were as followed:
Count: 147 Million
Motility: 60%
and All Swimmers were Moving Forward!!!
I'm so proud of C's swimmers. (When I called him afterwards I told him he's officially the "Sperminator!!!")
So, I put on some relaxation music, and tried to chill out. However, once I was left alone in the room, I couldn't stop myself from crying. I think it was the creshendo of all the building excitement and nervousness, and then knowing it was over and done with. (well, the emotional rollercoaster from Bravelle didn't help matters at all, as I've been crying every day since AF rolled in to town). I laid there and every time I'd start a prayer to God I'd start crying all over again! I finally made it through a couple prayers, finished listening to a couple relaxation podcasts, and decided the mellow music was contributing to my uncontrollable tears, so I switched over to some Live Dave Matthews, and that calmed me right down (Dave does that to me, I listen to him and I find my inner calm).
No one came to roust me, they let me chill out in there, so I laid there for almost 3o mins. I finally got up, got dressed, and headed out. On the way home, I stopped at a fruit stand (gotta love Florida-- there's always a produce stand to get nice fresh fruit and veggies at). and I picked up a nicely ripened Pineapple for my Pineapple smoothies for the next several days.
I had my first smoothie today, and I must say, that if your going to attempt eating Pineapple core, this is the only way to go....... I didn't even know there was any core in there after it was all blended in (I made mine with fresh pineapple, vanilla yogurt, a little crushed canned pineapple with a little of the syrup it came in, and some ice and orange juice and it was really yummy but gave me instant indigestion!!!!)
So, thats been my day! I spent the rest of my day laying low, doing pretty much nothing. I even took a nap, which I never do in the middle of the day. It felt nice to chill out, relax and catch my breath.
Now the 2WW begins, and mine will be filled with optimism, hope and of course prayer. I so hope this is it....... I just know it is, and we're gonna be getting really great news in 13 days!!!!!

11 comments:

The Rebound Girl said...

Congratulations on your IUI and here's hoping for a BFP at Beta!

147 swimmers is outstanding! And I will be trying the smoothie you mentioned. Sounds yummy!

Kim said...

Wow those are great numbers! Good Luck!

DC said...

Congrats on being PUPO! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a BFP!!

Ariella said...

Oh Jenn I am just so excited for you. His numbers were amazing! I mean really great, just like my hubby on our IUI. I am praying for your IUI#1 miracle.

Oh keep your FEET warm! I know you live in Florida but seriously where socks every day and while home too.

Anonymous said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you guys! I love the visual of the "handoff" and those swimmer numbers are awesome. I'm officially jealous!

Maria (MKC101103) said...

I love the new blog template!

And that is the best sperm vs. egg picture I have ever seen!!!

Alyson and Ford said...

Best wishes to you. Yep, very emotional, a good cry helps keep the emotions from boiling over.

Alyson LID 01/27/06 (A China)
NCLM #158

Still Standing Strong in A Bloom of Hope. said...

Woo-hoo! congrats on your IUI! Awesome!

Welcome to the craziness of 2ww!!!!

ps i'm in my 1ww!! aaahhhh!!!!!

sprinkling baby dust on this blog!!!!

Sunny said...

Congrats on the IUI! I was reliving our first IUI while reading your post. :) I hope your TWW goes very quickly, and you get a fabulous blazing BFP.

Via NaComLeavMo.

Busted said...

Best of luck, sweetie!

Amanda said...

Those sound like good things! Good luck!